I have a treat for your lips today with my DIY lip balm and scrub recipe. This one is great to exfoliate and moisturize those chapped lips caused by the dry winter air.Jump to Recipe
(Please note that there are affiliate links in this post, meaning if you do purchase something from clicking through these links, I might get a small compensation for the referral, at no cost to you. )
Lip Balm with Vitamin E
Making your own lip balm is so easy and can be made with only 2 basic ingredients; oil and beeswax.
Everything else is just added benefit. Get creative with your flavouring. You can use powdered drink crystals (available at bulk stores), candy flavouring, candy melts or natural flavours, like honey or vanilla extract. I’m using refreshing peppermint in my lip balm in this recipe.
Consider your containers
When making this DIY Lip balm, consider your containers. It’s your chance to make it a waste-free project. I suggest reusable glass or metal pots instead of plastic tubes. If you don’t like using your fingers to apply lip balm, you can also use craft paper lip balm tubes (that’s an affiliate link).
Reusing is also a great option. I reuse the same lip balm pods that I received from a kit over a year ago. I wipe them clean and boil them in water before reusing them.
Here’s a picture of my setup. I use a glass measuring cup inside a pot of boiling water, like a double boiler.
And now, let’s get to the recipes.
DIY Lip Balm with Vitamin E
- glass measuring cup
- wooden stir stick
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 drops Vitamin E
- 3-6 drops peppermint extract
- Boil some water in a pot, just enough to cover half of a glass measuring cup or a small glass bowl.
- Use the glass measuring cup or small bowl as a double boiler.
- Pour all your ingredients in the measuring cup and place the cup or small bowl in the boiling water. The water shouldn't come higher than halfway up the side of the measuring cup or bowl.
- Stir and mix the wax and oil with a wooden stick until melted.
- Pour the molten wax and oil in your favourite plastic-free containers such as kraft paper lip balm tubes, glass or metal pots.
Lip Scrub With Vitamin EJump to Recipe
Lip scrubs make a great companion for lip balm to help reduce those dry chapped winter lips. They are so easy to make too. Please note that you only want to make enough scrub for one use as it doesn’t preserve well for more than a few days.
Lip Scrub with Vitamin E
- 1 tsp sugar granular or brown sugar will work
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 to 3 drops Vitamine E
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Rub the scrub on your lips to exfoliate.
- Wipe clean with a cloth.
If you enjoyed this recipe, pin it so others can too. If you tried it, let me know in the comments below.